NJ Online Casinos – The Best New Jersey Online Gaming Sites in 2023
New Jersey was the first state to legalize online gambling back in 2013. Today, NJ online casinos are by far the most popular, lucrative and well-designed in the country. Over 30 NJ online casino sites have popped up and gained popularity in recent years, meaning today’s players have more choice and variety than ever. New Jersey is one of four states where you can wager at online casinos, sportsbooks and play live poker against other players in NJ.
On this page we share all the best legal online casinos in NJ, as well as the best bonuses, what games are available and so much more. You’ll learn how to avoid scam casinos, how to play your favorite games on mobile and the key differences between land-based and online NJ casinos.
Whatever it is you want to know about online casinos in NJ, you’ll find it right here.
Best NJ Online Casinos in December 2023
If you’re ready to start playing on the state’s best platforms, here is our top NJ online casinos list:
Top 5 Best NJ Online Casinos in 2023
Each of the many online casinos available in the state of New Jersey has its pluses and minuses. Some cater to slot players, whereas others can have a strong selection of table games or live-dealer action. Some have far more lucrative welcome bonus offers than others, but it is important to read the fine print–that often separates a good bonus from a bad one! Deposit and withdrawal methods are a factor, and you want to be assured that your money is safe and the website or mobile app you’re playing on is technologically stable.
|$25 freeplay welcome bonus and offers casino, sportsbook, and live poker play on the same platform.
|Visit BetMGM NJ >>
|Well-laid out gaming platform and over 1,000 games available
|Visit Golden Nugget NJ >>
|1x playthrough on $20 freeplay without having to make a deposit
|Visit Borgata NJ >>
|$10 no-deposit bonus and a great selection of games in NJ
|Visit Unibet NJ >>
|Lots of games to choose from and an excellent app featuring casino and sportsbook
|Visit Betway NJ >>
New Jersey Online Casino News December 2023
In-Depth Reviews of the Top 5 NJ Online Casinos
???? $25 freeplay is best no-deposit bonus in NJ
???? 800 slots available and large selection of table games
♠️ Full sportsbook and live poker tables and tournaments available to play against others in NJ
- New players get a free $25 no-deposit welcome bonus
- One of the best selections of slots available
- Only NJ online casino with sportsbook and live poker
- High playthrough requirement for first-deposit bonus
- Customer support lacks a phone option
???? 200 free bonus spins as part of first-deposit welcome bonus
???? Over 1,000 games to choose from in vast library
????️ Website is easy to navigate, and menu is well-organized to find games you like
Golden Nugget Pros:
- 200 free bonus spins and 10x playthrough make for a decent welcome bonus
- Well-laid out gaming platform is easy to navigate and search
- Golden Nugget rewards program features cash and prize offers
Golden Nugget Cons:
- Not as many deposit/withdrawal methods as most NJ online casinos
- Live chat can be slow to connect
???? Keep what you win from $20 sign-up bonus without having to deposit
???? Generous referral bonus for friends and partnership with MGM Rewards
♣️ Play live poker against other NJ players among a large selection of games
- $20 no-deposit bonus available just for signing up
- Plenty of games available, including ones with progressive jackpots
- Tie-in to MGM Rewards program with casino, sportsbook, and poker available
- High playthrough requirement on first-deposit bonus
- Live chat is not very responsive, unorganized FAQ page
???? No-deposit welcome bonus of $10 gets you started just for signing up
♦️ Over 750 games in total, including blackjack overlays for NFL’s Steelers and Eagles
???? Mobile app is highly rated and has sportsbook and casino in one
- No-deposit welcome bonus available
- Large selection of games
- Highly rated app with casino and sportsbook in one
- Lack of promotions for existing users
- No way to filter slots to find the ones you like to play
???? Higher payout percentage among all games than most NJ online casinos
???? Betway mobile app mirrors that of user-friendly website and includes sportsbook
???? 6-tier Betway VIP program offers lucrative rewards for playing
- 97.55% payout percentage is one of the best among PA online casinos
- Favorable rules lead to nearly 100% payout in some blackjack games
- 6-tier VIP rewards program
- 30x playthrough requirement makes it hard to satisfy bonus conditions
- No other regular bonuses or promotions offered for existing players
Legality of Online Casinos in NJ
Online gaming was officially made legal in NJ back in 2013, building on the state’s impressive gambling reputation from Atlantic City. NJ online casinos have since offered unrestricted access to poker, sports betting and live dealer casino games.
Requirements of “legal” online casinos in New Jersey
Legal online casinos NJ are fully licensed and approved by the NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement. This governing body is responsible for auditing license applications, vetting online casinos (including games, fairness, payouts, banking, transparency of T&Cs and more) and sanctioning casinos which break the rules.
Always make sure you’re playing at licensed DGE casinos – any NJ online casino which fails to prove its license, for any reason, should be avoided. They are most likely trying to lure players in and may refuse to release payments for any winnings.
Player requirements for legal online casinos NJ
- Must be aged 21+
- Must be physically within state limits (this will be checked using Geolocation software)
- Certain convicted criminals will not be allowed to gamble online
- Must submit to a “Know Your Customer” identity verification check. This will involve age, ID, phone and credit bureau verifications.
Start to Play at regulated NJ Online Casinos
If you’ve never played at NJ online casino sites before, the platforms can be a little intimidating – there’s a lot going on! Here’s a quick rundown of how online NJ casinos work and what you need to do:
- Select your state – Some NJ online casinos are available in other states. Make sure you’re always playing at NJ online casino sites so that everything works properly.
- Bonuses & promotions – There is always a tab at the top of the screen called “Promotions”. Click here to find welcome bonuses, deals, free spins and bonus cash—these will really help you boost your bankroll at the start. Click on any bonus for a full description and step-by-step instructions on activating it.
- Game types – Usually you can play a bunch of different games: slots, blackjack, roulette, etc. You can use the navigation menu to filter different game types and find your favorites. Click on a game thumbnail (image) to launch it.
- Banking – To make a deposit (or withdraw winnings) hit the “banking” or “cashier” button, somewhere at the top of the screen. Follow the on-screen instructions to manage your money.
As a player, if you know how to find new games, activate bonuses and manage your money, then you’re all set!
It’s Easy to Start the Online Gambling Fun at NJ Online Casinos
Don’t worry – getting started with online casinos NJ is as easy as it gets. While you’ll need to become a member to play for real money, remember that this is to protect your data and finances online. We’ve outlined the easy 5-step process you’ll follow for every NJ online casino—and don’t forget you can join as many different casinos as you want!
- Account registration and ID verification – Create your personal account. You must pass “Know Your Customer” ID verification before depositing.
- Create your personal account – You must pass “Know Your Customer” ID verification before depositing. Use your preferred method to make a deposit then activate any welcome bonuses.
- Play games and build your winnings – Enjoy slots, table games, live games and sports wagering and try to increase your balance.
- Withdraw your cash at any time – Withdraw money from your account free of charge. Allow 0-5 days for arrival.
- Rinse and repeat steps 1 to 4 – You can keep depositing, playing and withdrawing winnings for as long as you like!
Legal Online Casinos in NJ
For online casinos NJ that are regulated and approved by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, the answer is “very secure”. To find out if yours is licensed, scroll to the bottom of any page. In the footer, you should see a statement confirming affiliation with the DGE and links to their website.
However, while the DGE certification guarantees a casino is legitimate, some put more effort into securing their platforms than others. Investment in the latest online security protocols, encryption software and advanced payment methods are all important. Most NJ approved online casinos will have a “Security” or “Player Safety” page – navigate to this and you can read exactly what casinos online NJ are doing to make things secure. If you’re ever hesitant, try a casino that makes you feel comfortable.
Warning signs of “rogue” online casinos
Rogue online casinos are those which try to con or trick players, including pretending to be NJ approved online casinos. To keep you and other players safe, here are some important red flags to look out for:
- No registration required – Any online NJ casino that doesn’t verify your ID, perform checks, or require personal data should be avoided.
- Unbelievable promotions – Massive bonuses without wagering requirements and huge no deposit bonuses, with no strings attached, are definite red flags. Casinos do not give away free money—not like that!
- No license information – Unlicensed online casinos in NJ are a major risk. If there’s no license, then there is no authority regulating this casino and you should stay clear.
- Vague or dangerous T&Cs – If wary about a certain casino, always scan their T&Cs. Look for unusual or complex withdrawal rules, for example, and try to use your best judgment. Legal online casinos in NJ will not make withdrawing your money convoluted or expensive.
- Bad online reviews – If you’re really unsure, read verified online reviews (such as our own) from experts that have personally used and tested the platform. If they say it’s safe to use, and can clearly explain any discrepancies in the T&Cs, licensing or promotions, then you should be clear to continue. If the consensus is negative, find a new NJ online casino.
NJ Online Casinos List
While the number of NJ online casino sites is always growing – and the average quality is surprisingly high – there are a few casinos which stand above the rest. Here is a quick list of all NJ online casinos we think you’ll love.
This is hands-down one of the best NJ online casino sites. The $1,025 welcome package can be cleared using table games at 20%, which we love to see. Along with an extremely intuitive user interface and great customer support, BetMGM offers a gaming experience that NJ players can’t get enough of.
If you’re looking for the total package, you’ll find it at Borgata. Managed by the famous Borgata casino in Atlantic City, Borgata online casino has impressive bonuses, comprehensive online support, a huge range of high-quality games and is one of the most user-friendly and intuitive online NJ casinos.
There are two major highlights at Caesars Online Casino. First, the wagering requirements on the $500 welcome bonus are just 4x – many players go here and make an impressive profit on day one. Secondly, the casino has an exclusive partnership with the World Series of Poker, creating a world-class online poker experience that’s unique among legal online casinos NJ.
Launched in 2020, Barstool takes a novel approach to bonuses with its cashback-based welcome offer. Players love this casino’s extremely well-built mobile apps (on both Android and iOS) and the auto-enrollment VIP scheme. This scheme, MyChoice Rewards, lets players earn points which can be redeemed for merchandise, free play, dinner vouchers or even once-in-a-lifetime experiences – not an everyday offering at most NJ online casino sites!
WynnBET is a young brand that’s quickly becoming one of the most popular casinos online NJ. The fact that new players can instantly unlock 250 free spins is fantastic, while some subtle elements like the comprehensive Responsible Gaming support and regularly-updated apps make players feel comfortable and appreciated by the casino.
An offshoot of the incredibly successful Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino franchise, Golden Nugget online casino leads the race for the best welcome bonus: $20 for free, then a $1,000 deposit match with low wagering and high table game contributions. There’s also a lucrative VIP rewards scheme and a peerless games lobby—over 1,000 titles and world-class filtering and user experience. Easily near the top of our list of all NJ online casinos.
Famous across the pond in Europe, Betway has made a big splash among online NJ casinos. Armed with every game in the NetEnt catalog, a 6-tier VIP membership and a whopping 100% up to $1,000 welcome bonus, it does pretty much everything right. While the casino doesn’t (yet) have live dealer games in NJ, we’re sure it’s just around the corner.
Winning at Online Casinos in New Jersey
Anyone can win tremendous sums at NJ online casinos. In fact, the NJ government published a list of Atlantic City casinos with jackpot wins over $50,000 in 2022 – most of the biggest ones are from the online casinos! This includes a $300,000 payout at BetMGM online casino in March.
NJ Online Casino Sites – Best Payouts
Most NJ online casinos offer massive RTP percentages of over 97%. However, in terms of specific payouts, we’ve seen 6-figure sums released to players at Golden Nugget, Betfair, Borgata, BetMGM, Tropicana Casino, Hard Rock, and Draft Kings online casinos. So if you’re worried that your favorite casino doesn’t pay the big bucks, we’re here to say they all pay out big!
Our pro tip when looking for the best paying online NJ casinos is to examine the games lists before becoming a member. Since the biggest wins come from the most volatile games, look for all NJ online casinos with large collections of jackpot, Megaways and high-volatility online slots.
NJ Online Casino Bonuses
Alongside the games collection, the online casino bonus is easily the biggest opportunity for online NJ casinos to attract players. NJ approved online casinos are famous for offering top-tier, lucrative bonuses to all new players. These range from enormous deposit matches to cashback offers, free spins and even no deposit bonuses. Check out the two best welcome bonuses in NJ right now:
NJ Online Casino Welcome Bonus
The best NJ online casino welcome bonus right now is probably Golden Nugget Casino. While the raw cash value isn’t the highest out there (100% match up to $1,000 – 1st deposit) the wagering requirements are just 10x in total. Not only that, players can contribute 100% to the requirements with video slots and 25% with table games, both live and RNG.
The ability to clear this kind of bonus with blackjack, for example, is almost unheard of. It gives players a realistic chance to profit – and profit big!
NJ online casino no deposit bonus
We don’t like repeating ourselves, but Golden Nugget Casino is again smashing it out the park with the no deposit bonus: $10 free of charge PLUS 200 free spins on the highly volatile 88 Fortunes Megaways!
NJ Online Casino Mobile Apps
Mobile gaming has exploded in recent years. More players are visiting online NJ casinos on smartphones and tablets than on computers – something that was unimaginable just 5 years ago. Players can enjoy mobile gaming in two ways: in-browser and through apps.
Most casino websites today (especially if built in the past 5 years) are dynamic platforms that automatically adjust and optimize for any device. This means if you visit on mobile, the buttons, layout, and games should all be optimized for mobile play, i.e. the right proportions. However, for the best possible gaming experience, all NJ online casinos refer players to their apps.
Mobile NJ casino apps
Virtually all online casinos in NJ have dedicated apps. These can usually be found in the App Store and Google Play, but sometimes players need to visit the casinos for a direct download link.
In both cases, players are getting dedicated platforms designed exclusively for a world-class user experience. This means that all normal features – banking, promotions, games, live support – are available. Apps are regularly updated and patched to fix bugs, and user feedback is incorporated to continually improve their experience. If you want to access your favorite NJ online casino on the move, then download its mobile app.
Games at NJ Online Casino Sites
Here’s a quick rundown of the most popular categories of games at legal online casinos NJ.
Online Slots NJ
For most online casinos in NJ, video slots dominate the games selection. There are typically more than a dozen game developers, each with its own long list of games. The best online casinos will allow you to filter online slots by developer, theme, volatility or popularity. Since the smallest online casinos in New Jersey have 300+ slots, there is never a lack of choice!
NJ Online Jackpots
The vast majority of online casinos in NJ have licenses for a stock of jackpot games. These range from “small” jackpots averaging $3-5k to the gargantuan, lottery-style jackpots in the millions of dollars.
Online Blackjack NJ
When it comes to table games, RNG blackjack (i.e. playing against the computer, not a live dealer) is seriously popular. Every online casino stocks blackjack and the most popular variations include: Classic, European, Vegas Strip, Switch, Perfect Pairs, Spanish 21 and Pontoon.
Online roulette NJ
While online roulette is probably the most “speculative” game, it remains immensely popular. Most NJ casinos online will have the classic European, American, and French versions, but you might also find 3D, Multi Wheel, or even progressive jackpot variations like Age of the Gods Roulette!
NJ Live Casino
Since Evolution Gaming crashed onto the scene in 2006, live dealer games have skyrocketed in both popularity and quality. Your typical NJ online casino will have blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and poker variations. You might even see Sic Bo and Dreamcatcher. These games are famous for providing an immersive, enjoyable experience with real dealer conversations.
NJ Online Poker
New Jersey players love online poker – and that’s why you see it in so many NJ online casinos. Rather than RNG gaming, poker games are typically live tournaments, cash games or Sit & Go’s with other real players. There is always a wide range of buy-in levels to suit all budgets.
NJ Online Casinos Payment Methods
Compared to the rest of the US, the range and quality of payment methods in NJ online casinos is fantastic. While it’s not 100% comprehensive list, here is our NJ online casinos list of payment methods:
|Average payout time
|Debit + credit cards
|Visa and Mastercard are the most widely-accepted cards, however some NJ online casinos will accept American Express and Discover. Some credit card companies may charge fees.
|You can use your PayPal cash balance or connect it to your bank account. Both methods allow for instant deposits and fast withdrawals.
|This is a casino-specific prepaid debit card which allows for instant deposits. Winnings can be withdrawn from ATMs and your Play+ card is funded by credit or debit card.
|An online, card-free account which can be funded in person at 7-Eleven, CVS Pharmacy and Family Dollar stores across NJ.
|VIP Preferred (eCheck)
|This option creates a direct link between the operator and your bank account. It is very safe and popular among high-rollers, although withdrawals will be slower.
|Simple wire transfer to your online casino account.
|Neteller + Skrill
|These are specialist e-wallets which allow for instant deposits and withdrawals. Not available at all NJ online casinos.
|Check by mail
|Receive a personal check to your home address or the casino cage.
|Cash at cage
|Visit the land-based casino that is partnered with your online casino to make deposits or receive your winnings in cash.
Responsible Gaming at NJ Online Casinos
All online gaming in NJ is overseen and regulated by the NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement (or NJDGE), which also regulates the state’s land-based casino industry. In order to be legally licensed, it’s mandatory for all NJ approved online casinos to promote responsible gaming.
How Legal Online Casinos NJ Promote Responsible Gaming
Online casinos in NJ typically have web pages dedicated to descriptions of problem gambling symptoms and potential solutions—these are designed to help players recognize their problem as early as possible. There are usually links to external or internal resources to help players manage their addiction, including:
- Gamblers Anonymous
- The Council on Compulsive Gambling New Jersey
- The National Council on Problem Gambling
- The latest problem gambling research
- Prevention, protection and self-help resources
Finally, there is clear advice on how to suspend your account, apply betting limits or self-exclude entirely from the casino. These options can be managed in chunks (for example, limiting your spend for one month or suspending the account for 3 days) or, in the case of self-exclusion, made permanent.
This commitment to player safety is one of the reasons that NJ approved online casinos are so popular.
Online Casinos vs Land-Based Casinos
One of the main reasons that online casinos were legalized in New Jersey was to provide an economic boost. Rather than acting as competition to land-based casinos, the hope was that NJ casinos online would attract new players and revenues. Here in 2022, that strategy seems to be paying off big time. With the most successful online casinos in NJ owned & operated by the most successful land-based casinos, both parties are currently thriving
NJ online casinos experienced a surge in revenue in 2020. Due to the pandemic, attendance at land-based NJ casinos fell and thousands of new players joined online casinos. However, in 2021 revenue for legal online casinos in NJ increased by 43%, to $1.4bn. Despite this surge, land-based casinos in New Jersey are also pulling in comparable amounts.
Online casinos in NJ are the most sought-after and lucrative in the country. Given the vast depth of games, impenetrable security and fantastic user experiences available to NJ online gamers, this is hardly surprising.
How Legal Online Casinos in NJ Developed Over Time
- Pre-1974 – While gambling was theoretically outlawed, it was rarely enforced. Sports betting, slots, bingo, and lotteries were common.
- 1976 – Gambling was legalized within the boundaries of Atlantic City.
- 1978 – The first casino, Resorts Atlantic City, opened in NJ.
- 2006 – Temporary closure of all Atlantic City casinos for the summer.
- 2012 – Sports betting legalized in NJ.
- 2013 – Online gambling approved for the entire state of New Jersey.
Pros and Cons
|Generous welcome bonus + wagering requirements
|No physical interaction with dealers
|Safe and secure for players
|Up to 3-day cashout times
|Can play from anywhere on mobile
|Increased risk of scam casinos vs land-based casinos
|Low minimum deposits and wagers
|Potentially missing games available in other states
|VIP perks for land-based casinos & hotels
|Substantial games catalogs from many developers
|Wide array of safe payment options
Future of Online Casinos in NJ
Right now, all we can say is that the future of online casinos in NJ is bright. Since their launch in 2013, both the number of online casinos and the revenues they’ve generated have climbed drastically. It was feared that the return to land-based casinos after 2020 would cause online gaming to crumble—in fact, it’s kept growing alongside land-based casinos!
It’s very likely that, rather than dividing players, the new online landscape is attracting players that wouldn’t go to land-based casinos. This new market of hungry online gamers shows no signs of slowing up. For the casinos, it looks like the immediate future is about improving the player experience—better and faster payment methods, more immersive and well-paying games, smarter bonuses and even better mobile integration and optimization.
The only thing we can say with absolute confidence is that, here in NJ, online casinos aren’t going anywhere